Saturday, December 23, 2006

I believe in Santa Claus - Still

I am a believer. While I am not ignorant to the realities of who Santa Claus really is I do still believe in what Santa Claus represents. Santa is about giving - not giving to everyone but giving to those people that are deserving. Only people that have been nice are rewarded, those that are naughty receive nothing. Santa is about love - I am blessed with a large family that makes it a priority to be together for the Christmas season. No other time in the year is the feeling of love so abundant. Santa is about peace - Santa is no respecter of race, religion or gender. He treats all people equally. I can not think of any other celebration in all the world that promotes the great spirit of giving, love, and peace than does Christmas.

Perhaps the real reason that I still believe in Santa Claus is because he represents some of the same qualities of Jesus Christ. Christ taught us to give to those in need, to love our neighbor, and to treat all people with respect, no matter their circumstances (even harlots). I crave the spirit of Christmas each year because of the way my thoughts are consistently turned to my Savior and the life he lived for each of us. Jesus Christ gave each of us the ultimate gift when we gave his life for us. It is because of these emotions and thoughts that flood my mind each Christmas season that I choose to believe - still.

No comments: