Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Greed is Good!

I remember watching the movie "Wall Street" many years ago. Even though I was a teenager when I first watched it I was deeply moved by Gordon Gekko's speech regarding greed. His words struck me as being true. Since that time I have seen the great effects that greed has on humanity. In 2001, Professor Walter Williams wrote an article that provides great examples of the wonderful power of greed. Personal interest, greed, makes me get out of bed each day and go to work. Whether I am a factory worker, janitor, or teacher, my motivation to work is to make money in order to provide for me and my family. In the process of me achieving my personal interests others benefit. The factory worker produces a product that other people want and benefit from. The motivation of the factory worker is not to build a product to make your life easier but that is a byproduct.

John Stossel wrote an interesting article that has a great example of eating steak in New York. In order for him to be able to eat a steak in New York the labor of thousands of people from all over the United States was necessary. Not a single person in the process is motivated by the good feeling they receive by being able to feed New Yorkers, they are all motivated by greed.

When I am greedy I make more money and am better able to buy goods which provides more jobs, I am better able to give more to charities, and I pay more taxes so the society as a whole is better off.

Greed is good, greed is right, greed works!

1 comment:

John M Reynolds said...

I could not see the youtube video, and have never seen the movie "wall street", but I did read the articles. Some people that to be jealous shows you care. Jealousy and greed are harmful. There are better ways of showing you care and better reasons to get out of bed in the morning. Siimply trying to provide for your family is not greed. Other motivators other than greed can lead you to "make more money and [be] better able to buy goods which provides more jobs, [be] better able to give more to charities, [and pay] more taxes so the society as a whole is better off." The fact that your greed can benefit others does not make your greed a good thing.