Saturday, November 22, 2008

The will of the minority controls the majority

California continues to show that democratic elections are meaningless as the Supreme court of California has agreed to hear challenges to the same sex marriage ban. (Click here for article.)

Twice now the majority of Californians have voted to keep the definition of marriage as one man and one woman. The first time was in 2000 when 61% of Californians voted in favor of proposition 22. The second time was more recently when over 52% of Californians voted in favor of proposition 8.

Despite Californians expressing their views clearly on this issue the state supreme court voted 4-3 to allow same sex marriage on May 15, 2008. To be clear, 4 supreme court judges decided that 61% of Californians were wrong and should be over ruled. What a disgrace to democracy that the voice of the people is overruled by a small handful of ideological individuals.

3 comments:

KURSK said...

This is much like the ideology behind the referendums on separation in Quebec..it matters not how many attempts are made to get the results desired, it is the idea that once it is achieved, it will be considered binding and never again open to debate.

Skinny Dipper said...

The will of the minority over the majority--It's like the 2005 BC referendum on STV. 42% against won over 58% in favour. The majority of BC voters were in favour!

Support BC-STV in 2009!

Anonymous said...

The Courts are becoming a joke because we now see a pattern that Human Rights are no longer measured by the Collective Morals and Societal conscience that stems from Reality .

As a White/male I CAN NOT get a Doctor's note to declare that deep down inside me is the Spirit of a Black/female/lesbian that must be recognized as a "Minority" under the Charter Of Rights , wait....I mean under the OLD Charter .
But today it seems like you can keep fighting the SCOC with Tax-Dollars until you get the ruling you want once the Right Judges are put in place to be unbias and follow the Laws whle not trying to MAKE the laws.

Oh well , the violence and public nudity from some in the gay community has merely justified people Perceptions of the Militant wing within that group that want Affirmation and NOt acceptance for diversity.
I really wish I was a bit taller back in the 70's so I could have been a cop or followed through in my Sports talents , but I stopped growing after my summer of the spurt when I gained 4-5 inches and didn't adjust well to my new weight that threw me off balance.
That's life , and no Charter Of Right can make me taller on paper just to avoid my hurt feelings , nor would I want a Sports team to be forced to Sign me on under a Quota system .
Sure life has been easier for me as a White/male , but now all males get blamed for the Gamil Gharbi slaughter in Montreal back in 1989 , plus , I now have to deal with the Universal labels for most canadians painted with the
"Islamophobe/Homophobe" Brush.